Students are introduced to the basic properties of fluids. They study the concept and measurement of fluid pressure. Hydrostatic forces and the principles of buoyancy are explained. Aspects of fluid flow covered include flow classification, Bernoulli’s equation and jets. The analysis of fluid flow is taught conceptually together with commonly used equations. Detailed example calculations are provided.
– Basic fluid properties.
– Fluid pressure laws and measurement.
– Hydrostatic forces on submerged surfaces.
– Buoyancy and flotation.
– Fundamentals of fluid flow.
– Fluid motion and energy equations.
– Impact of fluid jets and jet propulsion.
– Analysis of flow in open channels and closed pipes.
– Energy losses in pipe flow.
– Applications of flow analysis, including graphical representations and water hammer.
– Applications such as turbines and pumps.
– Dimensional analysis and model analysis.
Activity 2: Fluid Pressure
Activity 3: Hydrostatic Forces on Surfaces
Activity 4: Buoyancy and Floatation
Activity 5: Fundamentals of Fluids Flow
Activity 6: Fluid Motion and Energy Equations
Activity 7: Impact of Jets and Jet Propulsion
Activity 8: Analysis of Laminar Flow in Pipes
Activity 9: Loss of Energy in Pipes
Activity 10: Applications of Flow Analysis
Activity 11: Flow in Open Channels
Activity 12: Hydraulic Machines: Turbines
Activity 13: Hydraulic Machines: Pumps
Activity 14: Fluid Systems
Activity 15: Dimensional Analysis and Model Analysis